I had a brunch in my home and I am known for always having a breakfast casserole. When I went to the store to get the sausage, etc that goes into the casserole….I just couldn’t do it. Meat did not sound good. You know how it is when you shop – you only really get what you like….
It ended up flavorful, easy to make, and it was eaten up! I also made it the night before and warmed it the next day…egg lasagnas take a little while to fully set so I tend to do this to make life easier for myself.
- 1 package small corn tortillas ( I used white ones)
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 jar salsa or 2 cups home made
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 can black or refried beans
- cooking spray
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. (I used a 9x13)
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a separate bowl.
- Pour about 2/3 cup of salsa on the bottom of the dish. Layer 4 tortillas to cover the bottom. Place 1/2 the beans evenly then another layer of salsa, then 1/2 the egg mixture, then 1 cup cheese.
- Cover that layer with 4 tortillas.
- Re create the last layer then cover with 4 more tortillas ( a total of 3 layers) Pour the last of the salsa then sprinkle the last cup of cheese. Bake for 45 minutes. Start covered with foil and remove the last 10 minutes to crisp the cheese if you like it that way.
- You can refrigerate and cook in the morning, or bake off and warm in the morning. Make sure to cover with foil if rewarming.
- Serve with more salsa and sour cream and some fresh cilantro! Maybe a "Breakfast Mojito?"