You asked for it….you got it, a SWEET TREAT!
Who doesn’t like chocolate pie? My husband is very weak for it. He can eat it until he blows up! I made this particular pie for our Annual Coaches Dinner that I also made enchiladas for ( recipe coming!) but this one was a HIT! Enjoy!
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked ( I used my favortie crust recipe in this photo)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate bar for shavings
- Pour the gelatin on top of 2 tablespoons water. Separate the eggs into 2 bowls....
- In a small saucepan, heat chocolate, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and coffee; stir constantly until melted. Add the softened gelatin to the saucepan, and heat until completely dissolved. Remove pan from heat, and gradually beat in egg yolks. Return to pan to heat. Cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool slightly.
- While chocolate mixture is cooling, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture. Whip up 1/2 cup cream until stiff peaks occur, and fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into pie crust. Chill.
- To Make Topping: Add cocoa and confectioners' sugar to 1 cup whipping cream. Chill mixture 30 minutes, then whip until stiff. Stir in almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Top the pie with this chocolate whipped cream. Chill several hours or overnight until set. Filling with be a little soft.
- Make chocolate curls bu taking the candybar and use a carrot grater or fabulous microplane over the top!