- Where have I been? Have mercy on me, I am the size of a house. Carrying twins is a one way ticket to losing all sense and sensibility. I have been managing my show on the radio simply because my guests are fabulous! But my own baking has been on hiatus. That is, until I started seeing fresh Oregeon strawberries in my twitter and instagram feed. Ooh lala! They are beautiful, sweet, delicious! I needed to make a cupcake in honor of them. The thing is, I also crave lemon. No problem – a combo of both will do the trick!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup pureed fresh strawberries ( I used about 1 cup fresh in my blender)
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter – room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (not required!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 30 cupcake pan cups with paper liners.
2. Sift the self-rising flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the unsalted butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3. Gently beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined; do not over mix. Slowly fold in the strawberries
4. Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter 3/4 full, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a rack.
5. For the Frosting – whip the butter until it turns white ( about 5-6 minutes on medium high) Slowly add one cup of powdered suger 1 cup at a time, milk and extract in between cups of sugar. Coloring last. Frost completely cooled cupcakes! ENJOY!