I sing your praises Oregon Strawberries! So sweet, and bright red all the way through. We are blessed beyond belief to enjoy these treats, even if it is just for a short window of time!
I had a lovely day with my children. I took them to the zoo and had the time of our lives laughing at the penguins and oohing and awing over the fishies. 13 month old children are simply the best. The best! After the zoo I plopped them into their seats and the quickly fell asleep – it was afternoon naptime and they were EXHAUSTED!
What to do? The drive home is only 25 minutes and the kids will need at least 90 minutes of rest. Answer: Farm Hunting. This is where you cruise the rural outskirts of the city and find fresh fruit and veggies being vended right on the property. I prefer this to Farmers Markets even as I really get to see where the treats were grown! We found an AMAZING strawberry farm about 10 minutes from home. I bought a flat and went cruising through the countryside eating them, one after the other until the kids stirred. At this point, I went home. Uh-Oh, I still have a TON of berries! what to do? Well, lets start with muffins because our friends just had a baby and they will need breakfast foods. Here is what I came up with!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- BONUS GLAZE:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl, lightly beat together the oil, milk, egg, and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, mix the lemon zest, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix strawberries into the flour mixture. Stir in the oil mixture just until moist. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- When cool, whip the glaze ingredients together with a whisk and drizzle over top!